FileZilla FTP Server on WHS
Creating an FTP server on your Windows Home Server can prove to be very advantageous. There are many times when using the web interface just doesn’t seem practical. Also, you are no longer limited to how many people have the ability to upload and download from your WHS.
Having an FTP server on WHS can also allow synchronization of files between off site computers and WHS while giving greater flexibility. I am personally displeased with the lack of a download monitor for WHS while using the web page and therefore the setup of an FTP was necessary for me.
First, I chose FileZilla because it is simple to set up, easy to maintain, and FREE. There is also more security in FileZilla than the included (but not installed) IIS FTP server. FileZilla supports FTP as well as FTPS using Explicit SSL/TLS. I am not going to explain setting up the latter, but the simpler FTP.
All work will be done from the WHS desktop. So initiate a Remote Desktop Connection to your server to being working.
- Download FileZilla FTP Server: Click Here to Visit Download Page
- Install with ALL of the Default Options
- Create a directory in the root of your C drive called FTPUsers
After the install has completed, the installation will execute the Connect to Server application. You have not currently set an administrative password so simply pressing OK will take you to the FileZilla Interface.
To start the process of configuring your FTP server click the Edit option on the upper menu and select Settings.
In the tree on the left, select Passive Mode Settings
- Select the Radio button for “Use the Following IP” and populate the field with your WHS given URL. (be sure not to include http or https in the url – xxxx.homeserver.com)
- Check the box for “Use Custom Port Range” and use the following port range 50000 – 50100 (ignore picture below)
- Press OK and the settings will be applied
After applying the simple settings for getting your FTP up and running it is time to create a group to add your FTP users too. I usually create a group for family and a group for friends. The family group is allowed to write, create, delete, etc. and the friends group is simply allowed to read. To accomplish this, click on the Edit option in the main FileZilla Console and choose the option for groups.
- Select General from the left side menu.
- Press “add” on the right side to create a group and title it whatever you want.