Ethernet Performance: C.O.D. 2GB Transfer Test
For testing the large file transfer speed of the NAS, we transfer a 2GB file from the workstation to the NAS and back five times. We pipe the transfer speeds during the benchmark to a .csv file for charting.
SATA Performance: CrystalDiskMark
CrystalDiskMark is another benchmarking utility that determines speeds by measuring 512KB, 4KB, and 4KB (Queue Depth 32) sequential and random read and write speeds. Test data can be Random, 0Fill, and 1Fill. For our purposes, we left the test at Random.
- CPU Queen Benchmark -This simple integer benchmark focuses on the branch prediction capabilities and the misprediction penalties of the CPU. It finds the solutions for the classic “Queens problem” on a 10 by 10 sized chessboard. At the same clock speed theoretically the processor with the shorter pipeline and smaller misprediction penalties will attain higher benchmark scores. For example — with HyperThreading disabled — the Intel Northwood core processors get higher scores than the Intel Prescott core based ones due to the 20-step vs 31-step long pipeline. CPU Queen test uses integer MMX, SSE2 and SSSE3 optimizations.
- CPU PhotoWorxx Benchmark -This benchmark stresses the SIMD integer arithmetic execution units of the CPU and also the memory subsystem. CPU PhotoWorxx test uses the appropriate x87, MMX, MMX+, 3DNow!, 3DNow!+, SSE, SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4A, AVX, AVX2, and XOP instruction set extension and it is NUMA, HyperThreading, multi-processor (SMP) and multi-core (CMP) aware.
- CPU ZLib Benchmark -This integer benchmark measures combined CPU and memory subsystem performance through the public ZLib compression library. CPU ZLib test uses only the basic x86 instructions, and it is HyperThreading, multi-processor (SMP) and multi-core (CMP) aware.
- CPU AES Benchmark – This benchmark measures CPU performance using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) data encryption. In cryptography AES is a symmetric-key encryption standard. AES is used in several compression tools today, like 7z, RAR, WinZip, and also in disk encryption solutions like BitLocker, FileVault (Mac OS X), TrueCrypt.
- CPU Hash Benchmark -This benchmark measures CPU performance using the SHA1 hashing algorithm defined in the Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 180-4. The code behind this benchmark method is written in Assembly, and it is optimized for every popular AMD, Intel and VIA processor core variants by utilizing the appropriate MMX, MMX+/SSE, SSE2, SSSE3, AVX, AVX2, XOP, BMI, and BMI2 instruction set extension. CPU Hash benchmark is hardware accelerated on VIA PadLock Security Engine capable VIA C7, VIA Nano and VIA QuadCore processors.
- PCMark 8 Home -PCMark 8 Home benchmark measures your system’s ability to perform a series of common tasks typical of daily home use. The Home workloads generally have light computational requirements and are ideal for testing low-cost tablets, notebooks and desktop home PCs.
- PCMark 8 Creative -PCMark 8 Creative benchmark measures your system’s ability to perform a series of entertainment and media tasks. The Creative workloads generally have demanding computational requirements and are designed for testing mid to high-end notebooks and desktops. Your system must have a GPU with full DirectX 11 support in order to run all the workloads in the PCMark 8 Creative benchmark.
- PCMark 8 Work -PCMark 8 Work benchmark measures your system’s ability to perform a series of basic office and work tasks. For more demanding office use, run the Creative benchmark test. The Work tests are designed for testing typical office notebooks and desktop PCs that lack media capabilities.
Handbrake is a widely used media encoding platform. We took a standard DVD (A Bronx Tale) and used the preset for “normal” conversion. Encoding is a CPU intensive task that can reveal a lot about your particular system and FPS (Frames per second) in the encoding results is a key indicator to the performance of your system.
CINEBENCH is a real-world cross platform test suite that evaluates your computer’s performance capabilities. CINEBENCH is based on MAXON’s award-winning animation software CINEMA 4D, which is used extensively by studios and production houses worldwide for 3D content creation. MAXON software has been used in blockbuster movies such as Iron Man 3, Oblivion, Life of Pi or Prometheus and many more.
Hyper Pi is a front end for Super PI. Super PI is a single threaded benchmark that calculates pi to a specific number of digits. It uses the Gauss-Legendre algorithm and is a Windows port of a program used by Yasumasa Kanada in 1995 to compute pi to 232 digits. In our case, Pi is calculated to 1M using all processors available and high priority.