QNAP® Systems, Inc. today announced the release of QTS 4.2 Beta – the smart NAS operating system that empowers users to achieve more in business and home life with minimal effort. With a revamped user interface and many exciting features, QTS 4.2 makes for smarter, smoother and spectacular cloud experiences with stronger security.
“QNAP continues to break the barriers of devices, platforms and geography to bring optimized cloud experiences to business and home users alike,” said Tony Lu, product manager of QNAP, adding “We have taken the lead in incorporating cutting-edge technologies like containers, snapshots and multi-zone multimedia streaming to extend the possibilities of QNAP NAS. With QTS 4.2, users are limited only by their imaginations.”
New apps and features in QTS 4.2:
- Revamped user interface with flat design: Incorporating a flat design, the redesigned QTS reduces loading times and elevates user experiences with a translucent login window, frameless media viewer and new recycle bin.
- Refined multimedia experience: QTS 4.2 empowers a QNAP NAS to be a multi-zone multimedia system that allows users to centrally control media streaming to different areas from a single device via HDMI, DLNA, Chromecast, Apple TV, Bluetooth and USB devices. The revamped Photo Station provides an excellent browsing experience with gallery and management modes, a handy control menu bar, and enhanced sharing mechanisms. Video Station now features online subtitle search. HD Station is now multilingual and supports multitasking with new apps including Skype, Libre Office and Plex Home Theater.
- Optimized storage management and cloud backup: Storage Manager adds a handy snapshot tool for volume/LUN backup and restoration. Several enhancements are included to improve business efficiency and performance such as SSD cache acceleration, JBOD enclosure roaming and comprehensive cloud backup solutions and more.
- Flexible hybrid approach to virtualization: QTS 4.2 introduces an industry-leading hybrid virtualization solution with Virtualization Station and Container Station. The upgraded Virtualization Station adopts software-defined networking concepts and brings greater benefits for flexible networking, cost efficiency and unlimited potential for wider application scenarios. The new Container Station exclusively integrates LXC and Docker lightweight virtualization technologies, allowing users to operate multiple isolated Linux systems on a QNAP NAS as well as downloading apps from the built-in Docker Hub Registry.
- Higher data security: Several security mechanisms are added to ensure data security including 2-step verification, shared folder encryption, instant notifications to mobile devices and VPN server with L2TP/IPsec support.
- File Station adds remote connection: Users can now directly browse and transfer files between their QNAP NAS and public cloud services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Box, Yandex Disk and Amazon Cloud Drive; and mount shared folders from a remote NAS to a local NAS using FTP, CIFS/SMB and WebDAV. File Station now also supports Google Docs and Office files online preview and adds more sharing options to make file management flexible and easy.
- Connect & view multiple NAS with myQNAPcloud: myQNAPcloud provides a new dashboard for users to centrally manage multiple NAS, preview files with Google Docs & Office Online, and upload files by drag-and-drop to increase work efficiency. File sharing over the cloud becomes more secure with myQNAPcloud ID control and by purchasing myQNAPcloud SSL certificates.
- More apps and utilities bring productivity: Qsirch is a powerful full-text search tool that helps users to quickly find files on a QNAP NAS. Qsync adds a central configuration mode allowing users to directly manage user privileges, set up Qsync client configurations, and to apply custom/default settings to all devices at once from one device. More useful apps and utilities are available from the QTS App Center.
*Features are subject to change and may not be available for all products.
Availability & Compatibility
QTS 4.2 Beta is now available for the following QNAP NAS models:
- 24-bay: SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP, TS-EC2480U-RP, TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP
- 18-bay: SS-EC1879U-SAS-RP
- 16-bay: TVS-EC1680U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1680U-RP, TS-EC1679U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1679U-RP, TS-1679U-RP
- 12-bay: SS-EC1279U-SAS-RP, TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP, TVS-1271U-RP, TS-EC1280U-RP, TS-EC1279U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1279U-RP, TS-1279U-RP, TS-1270U-RP,TS-1269U-RP, TS-1253U-RP, TS-1253U
- 10-bay: TS-1079 Pro, TVS-EC1080+, TVS-EC1080, TS-EC1080 Pro
- 8-bay: TVS-EC880, TVS-871U-RP, TVS-871, TVS-870, TVS-863+, TVS-863, TS-EC880U-RP, TS-EC880 Pro, TS-EC879U-RP, TS-879U-RP, TS-879 Pro, TS-870U-RP, TS-870 Pro, TS-870, TS-869U-RP, TS-869L, TS-869 Pro, TS-859U-RP+, TS-859U-RP, TS-859 Pro+, TS-859 Pro, TS-853U-RP, TS-853U, TS-853S Pro, TS-853 Pro, TS-851, SS-839 Pro
- 6-bay: TVS-671, TVS-670, TVS-663, TS-670 Pro, TS-670, TS-669L, TS-669 Pro, TS-659 Pro+, TS-659 Pro II, TS-659 Pro, TS-653 Pro, TS-651, TS-639 Pro
- 5-bay: TS-569L, TS-569 Pro, TS-563, TS-559 Pro+, TS-559 Pro II, TS-559 Pro
- 4-bay: TVS-471U-RP, TVS-471U, TVS-471, TVS-470, TVS-463, TS-470U-SP, TS-470U-RP, TS-470 Pro, TS-470, TS-469U-SP, TS-469U-RP, TS-469L, TS-469 Pro, TS-459U-RP+/SP+, TS-459U-RP/SP, TS-459 Pro+, TS-459 Pro II, TS-459 Pro, TS-453U-RP, TS-453U, TS-453S Pro, TS-453mini, TS-453 Pro, TS-451U, TS-451S, TS-451, TS-439U-RP/SP, TS-439 Pro II+, TS-439 Pro II, TS-439 Pro, TS-431U, TS-431+, TS-431, TS-421U, TS-421, TS-420U, TS-420-D, TS-420, TS-419U+, TS-419U II, TS-419U, TS-419P+, TS-419P II, TS-419P, TS-412U, TS-412, TS-410U, TS-410, SS-439 Pro, IS-400 Pro
- 2-bay: TS-269L, TS-269H, TS-269 Pro, TS-259 Pro+, TS-259 Pro, TS-253 Pro, TS-251C, TS-251, TS-239H, TS-239 Pro II+, TS-239 Pro II, TS-239 Pro, TS-231+, TS-231, TS-221, TS-220, TS-219P+, TS-219P II, TS-219P, TS-219, TS-212P, TS-212-E, TS-212, TS-210, HS-251, HS-210
- 1-bay: TS-131, TS-121, TS-120, TS-119P+, TS-119P II, TS-119, TS-112P, TS-112, TS-110
For more information about QTS 4.2, please visit https://www.qnap.com/qts/4.2