Plex for Smart TVs (including Sony, Vigo, LG, and Toshiba) has gotten beefed up with some awesome new features that bring you the great big-screen experience that you have come to know and expect from Plex. As always, there are lots of small user experience improvements and general clean-up of the app experience.
Some of the updates include:
- Plex Channels: Watch media from supported services, such as Vimeo, TED Talks, Soundcloud, and more
- Plex Companion: Fling content from another Plex device to your Smart TV for large screen viewing
- Filtering & Sorting: Slice and dice by genre, director, record label, and more to quickly find what you’re looking for
- Trailers and Extras: Enhance your movies with extras, and automatically play trailers before your movies for the ultimate cinema experience
Which Smart TV television models are supported?
The Plex for Smart TVs app is available on a wide range of television models by multiple manufacturers.
The app is made available through the Smart TV Alliance for LG televisions. The 2013 “Netcast” and 2014 “WebOS” based models are supported as indicated. You can find the list of supported LG models on the Smart TV Alliance website.
Related Page: Supported LG Models
The app is available through the Opera TV Store for many Sony Bravia models.
Related Page: Opera TV Store Support List
Plex is available on many Series 4 and Series 5 based TiVo devices. TiVo devices provided through a TV provider often have various licensing deals in place, which can affect app availability.
The app is made available through the Smart TV Alliance for Toshiba televisions. You can find the list of supported Toshiba models on the Smart TV Alliance website.
Related Page: Supported Toshiba Models
All 2014 model televisions are supported. Only some 2013 model televisions are supported, however. You can determine whether a 2013 model is compatible:
- If the app store is named Vizio Internet Apps Plus, then the model is compatible
- If the app store is named anything else (including just “Vizio Internet Apps”), then the model does not currently support the Plex App
Downloading the App
Open the Vizio Internet Apps Plus store on your television. You can find and download the Plex App there.
Other television models and manufacturers aren’t currently supported by our Plex for Smart TVs app. We’re always working to expand our compatibility, though, so new models or brands may gain support in the future.
Instead of the Plex for Smart TVs app, some brands and models are able to run other Plex apps.
Roku TV models can run our regular Plex for Roku app and is available by default on all Roku TVs. They’re also able to run the preview release (available early to Plex Pass subscribers) of our upcoming brand new Roku app.
Samsung Smart Hub
The Samsung Smart Hub app is created by a talented community developer. It isn’t directly developed by Plex.