QNAP recently released an update to their QTS Operating System, QTS 4.1.3, that implements a couple of enhancements and a slew of bug fixes. Although the list of Enhancements is short, it does include things like: VPN Client/Server, NAS over HDMI, Block-Based LUN Backup, and Storage Pool support for X51 and X53 models.
The Turbo NAS is now able to act as a VPN Server or to support a VPN Client for PPTP and OpenVPN protocols. This is especially useful for companies who need secure inter-office networking or to protect user privacy when the Turbo NAS is downloading data. To start using the VPN service, please go to “Control Panel” > “VPN Client”.
NAS Installation over HDMI*
Users can now conveniently and locally set up their Turbo NAS without a network connection. By connecting a keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor to the Turbo NAS, you can install the NAS in just a few clicks. Please forgive the graphic display of joy below …
* This feature is only available on Turbo NAS models with HDMI output, except TS-269H. (Check QNAP Products)
Storage Pool Support for TS-x51/x53
TS-x51/x53 users can now aggregate multiple RAID groups into a large storage pool and flexibly utilize the storage capacity, allowing for better data protection against multiple, concurrent disks failures in large capacity environments. Multiple volumes can now be created on the Storage Pool to provide flexible deployment. For example, one volume is created for storing surveillance recordings and another for storing company data. If you want to create volumes on the Storage Pool for more flexible deployment, please read the tutorial and online user manual.
Block-based LUN Backup*
Besides backup for file-based LUN, IT administrators can now use the LUN snapshot to back up the contents of block-based LUN to various storage destinations, including Windows shared folders via SMB/CIFS, Linux shared folders via NFS, or simply local shared folders on the Turbo NAS. In the event of LUN failure, IT administrators can restore the LUN and minimize the damage of data loss. To start using the LUN backup service, please go to “Control Panel” > “Storage Manager” > “LUN Backup”.
* This feature is only available on the TS-x51, TS-x53, TS-x69, TS-x70 Pro, TS-x79, TS-x80, and IS-400 series.
Display Subtitles with Videos
The File Station & Video Station can now display subtitles when watching videos (*.SRT, UTF-8 format). If the subtitles file has the same filename and is in the same folder as the video, then it will be available when watching the video. If you want to merge the subtitles into a video, you can enable “Embed Subtitles” in the Background Transcoding Tasks of “Transcode Management” in the “Control Panel”.
Please note: To enable seeking in video playback during on-the-fly transcoding, ensure that the CodexPack in HD Station has been installed and updated to the latest version*.
* This feature is only available on the TS-x51, TS-x53, TS-x70 Pro, TS-x79, TS-x80 series.
- Added support for NAS installation over HDMI.
- Enhanced NTFS and HFS+ external drive compatibility.
- Fixed the “Potential Remote-code Execution Flaw in GNU C Library (glibc)” (CVE-2015-0235) issue for the TS-x31, TS-x31+,TS-x39, TS-x59, TS-x51, and TS-x53 series.
- Fixed the Network Time Protocol Daemon vulnerability that could lead to unauthorized execution of arbitrary codes by remote users with admin privileges or triggering unintended changes on the system. (CVE-2014-9295, CVE-2014-9296)
- Fixed the ProFTPD vulnerability which could lead to unauthorized file ownership modification, directory operations, symlink creation and file timestamp modification and denial of services. (CVE-2012-6095, CVE-2011-1137, CVE-2010-4652, CVE-2010-4221, CVE-2010-3867)
- The system fails to synchronize the time on the QTS desktop and system time after the Turbo NAS is idle for over 20 minutes
- When both the “Enable Advanced Folder Permissions” and “Enable Windows ACL support” options are checked, shared folders will become inaccessible using Samba.
- The TS-870 fails to mount volumes after upgrading to firmware version 4.1.2 20150126.
- System migration fails during a firmware update.
- The system is unable to upload documents with an Arabic name using File Station or via Samba.
- The system fails to stop the file uploading process when the storage quota is exceeded.
- USB devices can still be browsed and accessed after they are encrypted.
- The system fails to display subfolders (under shared folders) if accessed through a shared link.
- Shared folders cannot be browsed via AFP.
- Shared folders on the NAS (a domain member) cannot be accessed.
- The system fails to enforce read-only permissions on the @Recycle folder.
- Microsoft ODX fails after updating the firmware to 4.1.1 and later versions.
- The system fails to restore a LUN if the LUN list is empty.
- After a LUN backup job is deleted, the [Action] button becomes disabled.
- The system fails to back up large LUNs.
- Cloning VM images from the host to an iSCSI disk (using Block-based LUN, Thin Provisioning datastore) will cause the Turbo NAS to reboot.
- HD Station crashes after changing the external disk label.
- Severe latency when playing MP4 files using the DLNA player.