With the huge amount of free software out there, there is no clear cut way to determine what is good and what is crap. That is what I am here for. To start your education on free “quality” software, I want to introduce you to RocketDock. The RocketDock utility has to be one of the most convenient little pieces of software I’ve ever come across. Not only is this useful, it’s FREE!!
RocketDock is a smoothly animated, alpha blended application launcher. It provides a nice clean interface to drop shortcuts on for easy access and organization. With each item completely customizable there is no end to what you can add and launch from the dock.
Now with added Taskbar support your minimized windows can appear as icons on the dock. This allows for better productivity and accessibility.
- Minimize windows to the dock
- Real-time window previews in Vista
- Running application indicators
- Simple drag-n-drop interface
- Multi-monitor support
- Supports alpha-blended PNG and ICO icons
- Icons zoom and transition smoothly
- Auto-hide and Popup on mouse over
- Positioning and layering options
- Fully customizable
- Completely Portable
- ObjectDock Docklet support
- Compatible with MobyDock, ObjectDock, RK Launcher, and Y’z Dock skins
- Runs great on slower computers
- Unicode compliant
- Supports many languages and can easily be translated
- A friendly user base 🙂
- And best of all… its FREE!!!
What this application does is actually quite simple. It gives you an interface for all of the programs that you would typically use on a day to day basis and organizes the icons in a little bubble all to themselves. I’m currently running it with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, and it’s very snappy. Like I said, it keeps everything within reach.
The program starts out with a basic default set of icons. They’re all your usual directories such as: one for your computer, your documents, your network….. I think you get the idea. What you can do after that is what makes this product really standout. You can customize just about every aspect of this little gadget; there are a bunch of skins for the interface, you can choose where to orient it on the screen, you can change the size of the icons, as well as the font for the description, the list goes on and on.